Friday, July 21, 2006

"Dang, Newfangled Music..."


Sometime you read something that just perfectly expresses your own thoughts. That's what this little piece did for me...

I like all kinds of music. But when it comes to church music, I confess I like the oldies best. I prefer the old songs because they put me in a nostalgic comfort zone. They bring back memories to me.

For instance, I love the song, “How Great Thou Art.” It was sung at the funeral of both my parents, and every time I hear it, I think of them. But is that necessarily good? When I sing “How great thou art” I should be directing my praise to God rather than thinking about my parents.

I’m sure there are memories you have attached to certain familiar songs. That’s why we like to sing them. They’re like a comfortable pair of slippers. That’s why there’s so much opposition to new music in church.

I came across an interesting article written by a leading clergyman who compiled six reasons for opposing the trend of new music in the church: (see if you agree with his observations)


1. It’s not as melodious as the more established style.
2. This new music creates disturbances and causes people to act in an indecent and disorderly manner.
3. It places too much emphasis on instruments rather than on godly lyrics.
4. The lyrics are often worldly, even blasphemous.
5. It is not needed, since preceding generations have gone to heaven without it.
6. These new musicians are young upstarts and some of them are lewd and loose persons.
If you’d like a copy of that article, you may want to know it was written in 1783 as a statement against the use of hymns. (Including “Blessed be the Name” and “O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing”)

If we aren’t careful, we will start judging the value of praise and worship songs based upon how they make us feel rather than whether they direct praise to God. So here is a very valuable WORSHIP TIP: The goal of worship is to honor God, NOT to please the worshiper

(From Pastor David Dykes - Green Acres Baptist Church)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

**From Worship Leader Magazine--May 2006**

I recently came across the comments of an American pastor objecting to new trends in worship music:

"There are several reasons for opposing it. One, its too new. Two, its often worldly...the new Christian music is not as pleasant as the more established style. Because there are so many new songs you can't learn them all. It puts too much emphasis on instrumental music rather than on godly lyrics. This new music creates disturbances makeing people act indecently and disorderly. The preceeding generation got along without it. Its a money-making scheme, and some of these new music upstarts are lewd and loose."

Perhaps you've encountered this kind of comment before? (like from Pastor David Dykes) Yet, the comment above, strikingly, is not a recent outburst aimed at the modern worship movement. Not our own at least. Instead it comes from a pastor in 1723 attacking Isaac Watts, regarded now by many to be the father of North American Hymnody.

The question we must ask is this: What should worship music ministry and leadership look like in the kingdom of God?...Quoting John Wimber: "The real test in these days will not be in the writing and producing of new and GREAT worship music. The real test will be in the godliness and character of those who deliver it."

Anonymous said...

Pastor Scott,

Where did you find your article?

Pastor Scott said...

A pastor friend from Virginia passed this along to me several months ago.

Looks like it could be one of those "internet stories" for which no real author can be tracked down...